Sunday, August 17, 2008

Family


On Sunday, the Texan football team will go about business as usual, but it will be missing a key figure during practice.

"Guys, you know I hate not being with you, but I tomorrow I am going to do right by my daughter," said emotional fourth-year head coach Sam McElroy after Saturday's scrimmage. "I have always told her that I would be at her next dance recital or next event, but there are no more of those, and when she asked if I'd take her to college, I couldn't tell her, 'No.'"

McElroy, and the rest of the coaching staff, often refer to the team and program as a big family. And it was never more apparent as the man at the helm of the Texans fought back tears. Is was evident because it was the players confirming their leader's choice.

"Yeah Coach." "Way to go coach." "That's right." "Love ya coach." "Do it coach."

Those were just a few of the quotes heard coming from the players who had taken a knee.

They have been through the motions for a week, so they know when and where to go for practice and what to do once they get there. There will be one of them missing on Sunday in physicality, but they players will have him them in their heads and hearts.

And it won't just be mom and dad delivering a daughter to Texas Tech on Sunday, though that is all she may see and hug at the time. There will be about 100 other people there, too, supporting both daughter, mom and dad.

After all, that is what family is all about.

*Note, the players got the day off to prepare for the last week of camp.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The last two years I have travelled from out of town to see the football games and I have thoroughly enjoy the trip and festivities. Last week socre was awksome and this past week was also good. It puzzles me when the score is so high and the game is almost won, why the coach does not put the second string players in. If the second string players are put it, 1)They would get playing time and experience 2)The first string could get rest and there would be less change of them getting hurt. There are several that are already on the sidelines that are hurt, such as #4, #19, etc. I do not understand why the other talented individuals are not allowed to play. If you can not answer this question, please refer me to someone that can. Several of the second string players are getting very frustrated and dishearted and that is sad when this problem can be remedied.