Saturday, September 13, 2008

Watching a movie it occured to me...


On the bus on the way home, we watched a movie: 300.

As the Spartans were fighting to save their honor, they would stand their ground and fight no matter what happened. They used tactics to draw in the other side and became victorious on several occasions, but they perhaps get a little too condifent? After all, they all died.

It reminded me, I sometimes fail to mention, as often as I probably should, the stellar defense we have lining up in purple and white.

Under defensive coordinator Cary Fowler, the Texans have held opponents to a toal of 26 points in three games, an average of 8.7 points per game. Opponents have also only gained a total of 489 yards in the three games, an average of 163.0 yards per game.

In that average, the run defense is perhaps better than stellar, holding the other teams to an average of just 45.7 yards per game. In the first half, the defense is allowing an average of 42.67 yards per first quarter and 84.3 yards per first half. Below is the first quarter opponent stats:

Rushing Passing
Game 1 43 35
Game 2 1 5
Game 3 4 40

Overall opponent stats:
Rushing Passing Total
Game 1 46 142 188
Game 2 59 73 132
Game 3 32 137 169

I don't know about you, I am sure glad these guys are wearing purple and white. And in the little time I have known Coach Fowler, and definitely Coach McElroy, this defense shouldn't let up.

And I don't believe they will get too confident. "No retreat and no surrender." Not only are they the words of Leonidas before his final battle, I believe that could be the battle cry of the Texan defense.

And I am good if the number 300 is a part of the 2008 football season. Not in the number of players battling for the Texans, but as the number opponent offenses strive to reach against the Texans. So far, opponent offenses have gone by the way of the Spartans and come up short on the battlefields.

In the end, Leonidas tells one of his soldiers that is was an honor to live by his side, and truly, it is honor to watch this defense fight their battles... can't wait to see what happens next.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that saying, "Offense sells tickets and Defense wins games!" I know that is not always the case, and the great thing about TSU is they are so good on both sides of the ball and are really united as a team. Thanks for writing that article. I know all of the TSU family members that read your blog will enjoy reading it.
Sincerely,
Shanan Fowler

The Chicken Farmer's Wife----------------- said...

I follow your posts regularly! It's a great read, and very well written! I am glad that there are bluegrass roots embedded in that Texas soil! Keep up the great work of keeping us posted!! Congrats!! A KY fan,
Jerri Fowler
(no relation..haha just kidding!)

Anonymous said...

I have traveled to the home football games this year from out of town and traveled to all of the teams home game last year. This year I am noticing something that is very disturbing. Even though, I have thoroughly enjoyed the games, I do not understand why when the scores have been so high, why some of the players are not allowed to play and I am wondering who I should contact regarding this matter. I am not a coach, but I am concerned that all the players and not getting a fair amount of playing time. I am not referring to the red-shirt players either. Is there a athletic counselor or athletic advisor that I may be able to talk to. Please understand again I have thorougly enjoying watching the game and do not mind traveling to see the games, but I feel that all the players should be given a fair chance to play. #32and the others are awesome, even the new player #25, but I have
questions that I would like to get some answers to.

Anonymous said...

Playing time is not under the jurisdiction of an athletic advisor, that is a decision that is left up to the coaches. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes before a game and during practice....effort, grades, expectations, etc... Believe me, the coaches are making decisions that are in the best interest of the team and to be successful. Winning and playoff success is the ultimate goal for coaches and teammates, as well.

Tarleton Athletics said...

You are correct, playing time is left up to the coaching staffs, and yes, there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes in practices, meetings, the weight room, etc. I know the coaches spend many hours preparing and shaping the team and the gameplan to give the men the best chance they have to be successful.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

for real.. you never know what happens in practice, off the field etc. When players are getting scholarship money to play, you better bet the coaches will be making the decision who is playing and who is watching. That is what separates college athletes from highschool athletes. That poster obviously never played college ball. You EARN you spot to play, it isn't a given. Plus, the starting players need all the time they can get these first few games to get in a routine. They need to feel eachother out, in good times and in bad times. Enjoy the game, don't try to fix what ain't broke!